susan packard husband

These values include compassion and support, openness, shared responsibility and work-life balance. She was raising 3 small kids but this night was sacred and she rarely missed it. New channels under the SNI umbrella that Packard helped start include Food Network, DIY Network and Cooking Channel. My family, my husband Bill, son Andrew. Packard also worked on the startup teams of HBO and CNBC. Susan Packard Orr is an American philanthropist and the former chair of the Board of Directors of the David and Lucile Packard Foundation. Today HGTV is available in more than 99 million U.S. homes and distributed in 175 countries and territories. Use tab to navigate through the menu items. Packard held a variety of senior positions at Scripps Networks Interactive, (NYSE: SNI), the leading developer of lifestyle-oriented content for television and the Internet. The founders' children had different inclinations, and they were raised in a different time. ''We need to take a bold step to address these challenges now.''. So I will leave you with a question that will put you squarely on the road to emotional maturity. The foundation's future is inextricably tied to Hewlett-Packard. Clark currently serves on the Board of Trustees for the David and Lucile Packard Foundation, and is the granddaughter of the hospital's founder, Lucile Salter Packard. We are made to be in kinship with others, but if youre anything like me, you forget. Theyve guided our work as a family foundation in which the next generation is deeply engaged. Genealogy profile for Susan Packard Susan Packard (c.1791 - 1863) - Genealogy Genealogy for Susan Packard (c.1791 - 1863) family tree on Geni, with over 230 million profiles of ancestors and living relatives. In 1984, Packard became the director of the HBO Los Angeles market. She is past vice chair of the board of an independent collegiate day school; is an advisor on job training programs for the homeless as board member of Lazarus Ventures LLC. friend to both of us for different reasons. [8], Scripps eventually became Scripps Networks Interactive (SNI),[9] where Packard served as executive vice president. Overcame: The challenge of finding market share for a startup cable station. In 1980, she began her cable career at HBO then moved to NBC and was part of the start-up team for CNBC. She was the co-founder of Scripps Networks Interactive and former chief operating officer of HGTV. the truth for you, until you can know it for yourself. He is survived by his wife, Martha Susan Thomas Rudisill, daughter, Mary Harden Rudisill, both of Daniel Island, Charleston, daughter, Susan Reeves Rudisill Myers and her husband, Lt. Col. (retired) Andrew Herbert Myers, PhD., grandsons, Thomas Jesse Benjamin Myers and William Joseph Rudisill Myers, all of Spartanburg, S.C., a sister, Cecily . [15], Orr was named the first Distinguished Fellow in Family Philanthropy by the National Center for Family Philanthropy,[16] where she has written about donor legacies and board composition for family foundations. Sue Packard. Today HGTV is available in more than 99 million U.S. homes and distributed in 175 countries and territories. And David Woodley Packard, who is no longer on the Packard Foundation board, has talked to his sisters. Susan Packard has been on the ground floor and helped to build powerful media brands like HBO, CNBC, and HGTV. Mr. Hackborn, now a Hewlett-Packard director, is a leading board advocate for the Compaq merger. Its an extraordinary contribution.. In 2010, she was admitted to The Committee of 200, a select group of senior women executives dedicated to inspiring future women leaders in business. Packard held a variety of senior positions at Scripps Networks Interactive, (NYSE: SNI), the leading developer of lifestyle-oriented content for television and the Internet. We use cookies to make Arreva's community a better place. Following an 11-year career as a case . ''Susan has been very supportive of Carly, and they have a dialogue,'' said a person who knows Ms. Orr, who declined to be interviewed. This means behaviors and beliefs that usually the founder or the senior group establishes. Susan Packard is co-founder of Scripps Networks Interactive (NYSE: SNI) and former Chief Operating Officer of HGTV. Today HGTV is available in more than 99 million U.S. homes and distributed in 175 countries and territories. 2017 First American Financial Corporation and/or its affiliates. In lots of companies, everything is held very closely in the senior leadership circle, including the financials, and thats a crazy way to do business, she said. In 2015 she was elected to the C200 Foundation Board, charged with granting scholarships and doing outreach to young, aspiring business women. [10] The company grew to a $10 billion market valuation. The book cultivates creativity, focus, optimism, teamwork and competitiveness, according to San Diego Metro. In fact, if I thought about this one long enough, my insides hurt. They will, he said, remain close regardless of the outcome: ''Everybody tries to make this into a soap opera, but it's not. in computer science from New Mexico Tech and an M.B.A. and B.A. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. Susan Packard Orr, the chairwoman of the family foundation, appears to share some of Ms. Fiorina's views, while her brother, David Woodley Packard, announced last month that he opposed a. She has served on the University of Tennessees College of Communications Board of Advisors and in 2004 she was named a College of Arts and Sciences Outstanding Alumni at Michigan State University. But what I learned is that by sitting at the table and having a seat of authority as an equal, I could help to influence the creation of a culture that is collaborative, inclusive, supportive. Until February, Ms. Orr was a member of the Hewlett-Packard board, and she served on a board committee that was crucial in hiring Ms. Fiorina in 1999. Susan Packard is a media entrepreneur and a sober, hope-rich author who has contributed to the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Fast Company, and Refinery 29. CableWorld magazine honored her among The Most Influential Women in Cable numerous times. She served in that role until 2017, when her son Dave Orr was named chair of the board. They will continue to remain advisors to the Foundation and participate in a variety of charitable activities. KNOXVILLE (WATE) Susan Packard is the co-founder of HGTV and one of the loudest voices for women in the workplace. And trust me, there was a lot of debate around the table about these values. And with those moves, my ego was squarely in place. First American, the eagle logo, firstam.com, and First American Title are registered trademarks or trademarks of First American Financial Corporation and/or its affiliates. And were all still The prospect of adding expense to their cost line was a challenging sell, Packard said. From Orr is the daughter of David Packard and Lucile Salter Packard. Take a moment of think of someone who has had staying power in your life, who makes you smile by the mere thought of them. In 2008, she was inducted into the Cable Hall of Fame. During the first 5 years of her teaching career, Dr. Packard worked concurrently as a psychologist at a facility providing outpatient therapy for adults, with a focus on treatment of depression, anxiety, trauma, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and eating disorders. About Susan Smith Packard. In recent conversations, the Hewletts and the Packards have also assured each other that no matter what the Packard Foundation's decision, their friendships will remain intact, family members say. She enjoyed hiking, reading, and music. In addition to the Packard Foundation, she is a current or previous board member of several prominent nonprofit organizations including Stanford University and the Lucile Packard Children's Hospital at Stanford. in economics from Stanford University. And out of that came these core values. She has written a book to help women lead in the workplace called New Rules of the Game, which was published by Penguin/Prentice Hall in February 2015. It may also change the dynamics among the Packard siblings, whose leanings have not been disclosed but could very well differ, and among the two families, who practically grew up together. She has extensive work experience in the fields of addictions treatment, corrections, community based mental health, and counselor education. by Susan Packard | Mar 20, 2020 | Friendship. In New Rules of the Game, Packard advocates for a revolutionary new perspective for businesswomen, which she calls gamesmanshipa strategic way of thinking that cultivates creativity, focus, optimism, teamwork, and competitiveness. During this time she also cofounded the Scripps Networks, becoming the President of Scripp's New Ventures division in 2000. Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window). in big data-serving computers and services, and better able to withstand the challenge from Dell in personal computers. She is past vice chair of the board of an independent collegiate day school and an advisor on job training programs for the homeless as board member of Lazarus Ventures LLC. She received the Woman of the Year award by Women in Cable & Telecommunications (WICT) and was profiled in Modern Visionaries, a book chronicling the contributions of women to the cable and telecommunications industry. Too many people leave a company because they didnt get a promotion quickly enough for them, or their raise was less than they wanted. As the co-founder of Home & Garden Television, better known as HGTV, which provides programming in categories like home design and decor, gardening, crafts and remodeling, she was drawn to the startups concept due to her vibrant, positive and uplifting home life growing up. She was named a College of Arts and Sciences Outstanding Alumni at Michigan State University. We can play leadership roles and support roles, sometimes in the same meeting. NBC sent her to an executive program at the University of Virginia's business school for exactly that purpose. We were celebrating 20 years of being on the air. [5] She is married to Franklin Orr, who was Under Secretary of Energy for Science in the Obama administration,[6] and is a professor emeritus at Stanford. Bill worked for Patrick in one phase of his career; Patrick worked for me in another. The unlikely face-off pits Mr. Hewlett, 57, a consulting professor of music at Stanford University and a genial intellectual with advanced degrees in music, engineering and operations research, against Ms. Fiorina, 47, a forceful, charismatic outsider brought in by the board to shake things up at Hewlett-Packard -- a model company in many ways, but one that had become inbred and sluggish. Something that felt bigger than my day job. While at CNBC, she received a call one day from Ken Lowe, who was in charge of E.W. Susan has been an active fundraising volunteer, serving as campaign chair and on the campaign cabinet for numerous capital campaigns. ''It was an amicable splitting. A home channel was something that really called to me., She answered with drive crucial in any endeavor: If you can find a place where you can really feel passionate about what it is you are working on, and see it has something larger than just you, youll have a much better chance for success and for personal satisfaction in your work.. She holds memberships in many national- and state-level professional organizations, including the American Counseling Association (ACA), the American Psychological Association (APA), the American Rehabilitation Counseling Association (ARCA), and the Pennsylvania Psychological Association (PPA). Well, my grandparents two doors down, and many of my 14 aunts and uncles and assorted cousins. Samaritan Counseling Center of Western PA, Inc. is classified as a 501(c)3 nonprofit. Packard was born in Detroit and found her business mentors in her family. Youre not going to empower people if you dont share information with them. The lesson is: Anything is learnable if youre willing to put in the work, she said. 2000-2023 Investor's Business Daily, LLC. In celebrating their retirement, the Foundations President and CEO Nancy Lindborg noted, Nancy and Susans contributions to people and the planet are simply incalculable. She received the Woman of the Year award by Women in Cable & Telecommunications (WICT) and was profiled in Modern Visionaries, a book chronicling the contributions of women to the cable and telecommunications industry. Cookies help to provide a more personalized and relevant experience for you. Thank you. Scripps William Burleigh Award for distinguished community service. Last week, he traveled to New York and Boston, meeting privately with several large institutional shareholders. Packard was the first woman to serve on the board of Churchill Downs, Inc. She served for two terms, from 2004 to 2010. And Bill thought would be a great idea to send him an Easter basket a few months ago. The Packard Foundations board of trustees is composed of six Packard family members and eight general trustees and sets policies and strategic direction for the Foundation. . Robert Stephens, who is married to Julie E. Packard, said last week that he took some comfort from having seasoned ''decision makers'' like Mr. Platt, Mr. Morton and Ms. Orr on the board. She was the 2nd employee of SNI and helped to build the company to a market value of over $10 billion. 2.3k. Baseline talent gets you into the game. ''I worked there for 33 years,'' Mr. Platt said late last week. This picture was taken last August. Ms. Orr, the foundation chairwoman, is probably the most business-oriented of the Packard heirs. She writes and speaks on leadership and innovation, and shementors female executives. The views of Mr. Platt will also receive a close hearing from the remainder of the foundation board. They see all of you. Ms. Fiorina's reputation is pinned to the Compaq deal, which she has championed as a bold step to reinvigorate Hewlett-Packard and to make it more competitive in difficult times. She has also been a vocal advocate for the evolving role of family philanthropy in addressing some of the most difficult challenges facing society. And even though we adopted him, he somehow inherited his fathers sense of humor, which can only be described as irreverent. Packagred was on the start-up team of CNBC,[6] where she served as the vice president of affiliate relations and national accounts. Headquarters: 202 Beaver St. 3rd Fl., Sewickley PA 15143. And today Ill just deal with how we interact with others. In his meetings with major investors, Mr. Hewlett has been presenting the arguments laid out in a 69-page analysis of the deal prepared by his adviser, Friedman Fleischer & Lowe, a San Francisco investment firm. Susan Packard is co-founder of Scripps Networks Interactive and former chief operating officer of HGTV. They Under Packards helm, HGTV became one of the fastest growing cable networks in television history. Insurances that Susan accepts: Highmark. Such deals, it says, create disruption as the merged companies try to meld disparate operations and corporate cultures. But there was so much left unsaid, unwritten, because I didnt want to write a ten-pound book. He was soon spending a lot of time at the Harvard computer center, writing code for a hulking I.B.M. Eight years later she moved on to CNBC, where she essentially did the same work, but with a larger team and more responsibilities. A friend of mine who is a business writer said to me, You know, you have a pretty interesting story. Two former Hewlett-Packard executives, Lewis E. Platt, who was chief executive from 1992 to 1999, and Dean O. Morton, a former chief operating officer, also have seats. HEWLETT-PACKARD'S management is encouraged that Booz-Allen, the foundation's adviser, has met with the company and its advisers, McKinsey & Company and Goldman, Sachs. Who else does this decision impact? Well, it impacted my new husband, who wasnt crazy about the thought of leaving LA. That it seems every institution wants to perpetuate, not just business. It notes that big mergers in the fast-moving technology business rarely, if ever, succeed. While at the business network, she cashed in on money matters. It doesnt fit, something whispered, like a dress thats too tight. Far removed from the Depression-era commercial ambitions of their fathers, they made their choices about their education and career paths mainly in the 1960's and early 1970's. Packard held a variety of senior positions at Scripps Networks Interactive, (NYSE: SNI), the leading developer of lifestyle-oriented content for television and the Internet. Orr joined the Board of Directors of the David and Lucile Packard Foundation at age 21 along with her three siblings,[7] and was appointed chairman of the board in 1996 after David Packard's death. [2], In 2019 Packard was awarded an Honorary Doctorate of Humanities from Michigan State . in economics from Stanford University. People Projects Discussions Surnames [17] Packard advises on issues surrounding competition in the workplace. If the foundation votes against the deal, the merger is not necessarily dead, but 18 percent of the shares will be securely in the opposition camp. And its such a critical leadership skill. Emotional maturity is when you respond with heart and mind and spirit, not ego. In that capacity, she served on the Audit, Strategic Planning, and CEO Succession committees. Dr. Susan Packard joined us in the summer of 2022 where she sees clients via teletherapy or in-person at our Erie office. Their partnership was transformational for us in many ways., To make HGTV viable to sell, the consumer was always the first priority, she recounts. So Andrew got a, just graduated college, he got a job, hes moved to Chicago. She has been an ardent advocate for womens issues and has played an active role in ensuring that the Foundation strongly supported womens reproductive health and rights. Packard's daughter, Susan Packard Orr, stepped down from the Board in December 2017. All rights reserved. Because Ive worked side by side with men my whole career, I can play interpreter and help them to build trusting relationships. During her secondary school summers, she worked for her father's direct mail business. ''He had his own ideas about archaeology and humanities projects he wanted to pursue, and his sisters had different ideas,'' said Mr. Wilbur, who has listened to the family discussions at the foundation since 1976. She served on the board for two terms. Select this result to view Susan J Packard's phone number, address, and . She was the 2nd employee of SNI and helped to build the company to a market value of over $15 billion. [12] In addition to her business duties, she aligned Scripps corporate citizenship with external organizations, including Mobile Meals and Habitat for Humanity.[13]. OF the board's 12 members, five come from the family: three Packard sisters and two of their husbands. And Ive had all of this on my mind a lot lately, ever since I wrote this book, New Rules of the Game. Log In. Susan Packard is co-founder of Scripps Networks Interactive and former chief operating officer of HGTV. ''It turned out that I was really good at programming,'' Mr. Packard said in an interview last week. Dr. Packard is an active member of Chi Sigma Iota (international and professional academic honor society) and served as Chapter Faculty Advisor for Edinboro Universitys Epsilon Chi Chapter (2014-2022). Emotionally mature leaders, for example, just one example, recognize that difficult life and work situations are not just meaningless suffering, but can be moments of grace in teaching when we allow them to be. This is what happens when we let friendships dim. None followed their fathers to work at Hewlett-Packard. Find your friends on Facebook. In her school years, Susan spent summers working with her dad in the direct mail business. In those days, they vacationed together, and even today the Hewletts and the Packards jointly own land, including a 28,000-acre ranch in Northern California. The companys media portfolio includes popular lifestyle television brands HGTV, Food Network, DIY Network, Cooking Channel, country music network Great American Country (GAC) and the Travel Channel. An uncle worked asan accountant, lawyer, college professor and with the Secret Service while finding time to write a dozen books. She also has experience working for the Pennsylvania Department of Corrections at a community corrections center (halfway house) for women and at the State Correctional Facility at Graterford in the psychological services department. Scripps' radio division, to help start HGTV. She also co-founded HGTV's parent, Scripps Network, which turned into Scripps Networks Interactive (SNI), and through 2010 served as executive vice president and ran global distribution.

Montmorency Cherry Tree Pollination, My Safe Word Is Pineapple Juice Guy, Michael Weaver Obituary, Foundry Vtt Dancing Lights, Articles S

We're Hiring!
error: