how to change fan speed on a trane furnace

Fortunately, theres a simple fix if you look at your furnaces Integrated Furnace Control (IFC) board. homininet 8 mo. You will also see the red E icon under Emergency . home improvement and repair website. Thus, my blower can't be using that much electricity on high. You can verify the actual CFM by measuring the TESP of the system and comparing it to the manufacturer's airflow data sheet. Most residential furnaces were installed by the low bidder. Your R value shouldn't change, and daily average wind speed and precipitation should have a minimal effect on the convection coefficient. The most important factor is temperature differential - the difference between the inside temperature and outside temperature. It offers three settings: 525 RPM for saving energy, 900 RPM for heating, or 1100 RPM for air conditioning. I thought of a way to prevent the nasty smell been coming through the vents, keep the cockroaches and rats out, and heat the house without having to go down and repair the ductwork, all at the same time: seal up the foundation vents with insulation and replace the thermostat with a remote bulb thermostat locating the sensor under the house. Filters help protect the many parts of your heating and cooling unit from debris and buildup that can shorten the working life of the system. This is NOT a user servicable item. He owned and operated a manufacturing business building Compact Utility Vehicles for homeowner use. Available Monday Friday from 8am to 6pm CST, We use cookies to enhance your experience on our website. XB Trane Furnace: Is there a fan speed control on the unit. STEP-BY-STEP REPLACEMENT GUIDE Turn off air conditioning / heat from the thermostat. It allows three constant fan speeds as well as an automatic fan speed and a variable burn rate and compressor and fan speed. Choose the Trane owner guide thats specific to your unit for detailed instructions on locating and changing yourairfilter. Since hot air is much lighter . When the humidity is high for what its set at. The video will also explain other safety measures, as well as some for a demonstration which I will show. Heat exchange takes time. Each is associated with a different blower speed. There are several tutorials on Youtube about how to do this step for specific inducer motor brands. He also builds custom tools for metal working. The variable speed furnace delivers the proper amount of airflow based on the heating and cooling needs of your home. First, make sure that power is getting to the motor. Switched it to heat (in which case the furnace board is in control of the fan, not the stat) - got fire, no fan. The real fix is to add insulation and install a second system on the second floor of most recently constructed homes with an adequate number of true ducted returns as opposed to the leaking stud-space returns contractors are so fond of. DoItYourself.com, founded in 1995, is the leading independent Change the speed. The blower fan on this blower has four speeds. Your new AC unit is not collecting water (yet) because the anticondensation coating hasn't been compromised (yet); and that's a good thing. The manometer tells you the CFM number. Using a filter that's too small or too large will allow debris particles to pass into the HVAC unit, potentially damaging or blocking the system. I have a Trane Variable Speed Air Handler (TWE049E13FB2). to this site, and use it for non-commercial use subject to our terms of use. -The "AUX Heat" makes sure that there is enough airflow when elect strip heat is called. On this board, pins 3, 4, and 5 on the SW1/1 through SW1/8 dip switch block have to do with air flow. Bundle Packs are a great way to save and get faster shipping! Learn more about Stack Overflow the company, and our products. and our I have been reading that the br wire can be used to let the thermostat control the fan speed, or the furnace itself can be programmed to ramp up the fan speed. -The "AC/HP CFM Adjust" is the airflow volume to be set for system, efficiency, comfort. When changing the AC or furnace filter, the arrow should face the furnace and point away from the return duct. Various advertisements for variable speed high efficiency furnaces call them "more energy efficiency" (note also the difference between a variable speed blower and a high efficiency furnace, they're separate, for instance you can have a variable speed blower on a low efficiency furnace). Typically the colors are: White = neutral speed Red = low speed Yellow = medium speed Black = high speed My question was whether the efficiency of heat transfer thru the exchanger would be somewhat compromised due to the reduced airflow. To clean a reusable filter, remove the filter from the air cleaning device. A description of how to change motor speeds with a multiple speed fan motor on an IFC controlled furnace.This video is part of the heating and cooling series of training videos made to accompany my websites: www.graycoolingman.com and www.grayfurnaceman.com to pass on what I have learned in many years of service and repair. So clearly, running your furnace blower on low is only more efficient IF-and-ONLY-IF the cost of the heating fuel is much much less then the cost of the electricity to run the blower that little bit faster. All rights reserved. However, a higher MERV rating may not be best for your system. In Dungeon World, is the Bard's Arcane Art subject to the same failure outcomes as other spells? rev2023.3.3.43278. American Standard air handler troubleshooting By pressing "submit", I understand that I am providing express consent for Trane Residential to contact me about this request or similar topics. The blower speed for a gas heater is selected so that it is comfortable for the building occupant but also so that the Delta T (Temp Rise) does not continue to rise. You can change the settings for cfm fan speed, but you have to do it manually at the board. We also have quick reference cards for use out in the field! Step 3: Adjust the Pulley on the Blower Drive Motor 3 of the wires will likely terminate with just a twist on cap. To switch the jumper, you will need to hold onto it gently as you pull it out of its current setting. With a one-gallon-per-hour burner nozzle that saves me AT-LEAST 30% on fuel oil plus another 20-30 min of blower run time or at least 30-50% run time savings. If you have suggestions or comments they are welcome. What sort of strategies would a medieval military use against a fantasy giant? The blower motor also begins running, but at low rpm. Remove battery from the thermostat (or disconnect thermostat altogether). Cockroaches and waterbugs coming in through the vents was my big clue there. View our Privacy Policy here. Thanks for the reply. There is a modification that will allow the VS fan to run on high speed at all times while in the AC mode and with the fan "ON" mode. My gas furnace has two options for the blower speed: MED, and MED-HI. According to the manufacturer's documentation, your furnace should have a 3 or 4 speed blower motor. Once you cut the power, you can remove the cover of your furnace to get access to the control board. How to tell which packages are held back due to phased updates, Linear Algebra - Linear transformation question. In this case, to adjust the blower speeds, move the dip switches (in the red section of the control board) to the positions shown in the manufacturer's installation instructions. All information is provided "AS IS." Ilook forward to responding to many more! He farmed commercial garden produce for several years. I found one glued to the back of my furnace door, one in the manual, and maybe one on-line too. The system also accounts for blocked vents and dirty furnace filters, and adjusts fan speed as needed to compensate. Second-stage auxiliary heating for heat pumps and multi-stage furnaces. We welcome your comments and suggestions. Does Nest utilize all the benefits of a communicating furnace, Low speed furnace fan blower motor will not shut off, How to calculate efficiency of old Westinghouse furnace VS new variable speed Furnace. In support of this: I found the mfr owner's manual for my furnace and in it, it states, "if you have an air-conditioning coil installed, you should switch the furnace blower speed to high to accommodate the decreased air-flow caused by the cooling coil in the plenum.". It can happen for lots of reasons, from improper furnace sizing and dirty filters to air duct insulation failures to the room being farthest from the furnace. Shay Tilander is a senior editor at Family Handyman. Connect the black wire to the manometer. ago. We recommend our users to update the browser. The MERV scale rates filters from 1 to 16. Step 2: Remove the panel cover of the furnace. My main questions are. 80% would be great for me. A properly fitted filter can also trap unwanted, and oftentimes unseen, pollutants from the air in your home, including: Start with the return vent. In terms of heat pumps, running the external blower faster may reduce i2r copper losses and hysteresis iron eddy current losses. Remove the air handler. One of these wires will be coming from the thermostat and the other will go to the outside unit. Only 3 of the 5 colored wires may be used at a time. Proper returns are rarely a thought. Before you begin this process it is a good idea to make sure that no power is going to the fan. Usually there will be three "speeds" ranging from 40 to 100% of airflow. The wires are several different colors. Of course all that heat was lost because of the ridiculous number of vents in our foundation. The control board is communicating with the blower module in order to determine the airflow volume needed. The constant torque/multispeed motor will have the smallest module. Once you have located the panel, remove it. To help ensure you're breathing healthier air and supporting your heating and cooling system to operate at an optimal level, follow the simple steps in this video to change your furnace filter assuggested. The line voltage and 24v common are connected at the top and are labeled as C, L, G, N. The 24v common is C and the ground wire is G. For a 120v unit, the L is the 120v hot and the N is the 120v neutral. Design Engineer/Project Manager for injection molded plastic company How exactly could I test this? I'm getting a new s9v2. Options are, for example, 4 minutes at 80%, or 30 seconds at 50%. Move the high-speed wire to low. On the furnace / air handler board you should have two wires on the "Y2" connection, assuming a two-stage cooling system. This is done so that the maximum amount of heat is gained in the building from the refrigerant. The MERV rating is typically printed on the filter packaging, but not necessarily on the filter itself. Wires from the 16 pin plug are connected to this board. The only alternative is to raise the discharge temperature. Locate the speed wires. - Answered by a verified HVAC Technician . with a wiring harness for the fan. Most furnaces have a relay switch on the door cover. Solution: Install a new sequencer AND a new fan relay, just to be safe. ASE Certified Master Auto Technician Possibly you could do the same here (turn down blower and gas). Not every AC or furnace filter will have an arrow printed on the frame, but when it does the arrow indicates the direction the filter must face. I'd like to get some second opinions. Copyright 1995-document.write(new Date().getFullYear()) MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. charts are usually found on the air handler inside door to controls. It provides quieter and more even and comfortable heat than a conventional furnace and doesnt consume electricity unnecessarily. If you know what you are doing, it is very simple to adjust the speed of your furnace fan. The ohm meter should read very close to zero. These blower motor versions can be found in furnaces, air handlers, and packaged units. View our Privacy Policy here. -The "Blower-on and Blower-off delay" time period can be selected. There is another way to wire this, but I can not find it back.. These three are connected to the "Cool", "Heat", and "Fan" terminals on the control board. ECM Multi-Speed Blower Motor (Broad Ocean Type), For an ECM blower motor with wires exiting the module (shown above), the speed is changed at the control board by moving the colored wire terminals. Turn off power at the main electric panel. Example: 1200 CFM is needed for a 3 ton 36,000 BTU/HR system. It helps to have over 50 years of farming and ranching experience. Step 3. During "Fan On", the fan runs at 50% of whatever the maximum speed of the fan is. If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact Trane Home Customer Support via email at help@tranehome.com or call 1-877-288-7707, Monday-Friday 9 . Step 4: Take out the inducer motor. Thanks for all your continued support! By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. On the furnace / air handler board you should have two wires on the "Y2" connection, assuming a two-stage cooling system. Does a summoned creature play immediately after being summoned by a ready action? Put the air handler back. Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience. Slowing the blower speed reduced the noise but I take it you would still like it to be more silent. Yes you can change it, how to do it is in the manual, yes there can be downsides, no it probably won't fix your air balancing issues. Presently the settings for the cooling mode is speed 7 (C1.7), heating mode at speed 5 (H1.5), and continuous fan mode is set at the lowest speed (CF.1). Air filters are measured by Minimum Efficiency Reporting Values (MERV). *NOTE* If you attempt this, be absolutely sure that you have no power going to your system, especially before changing wires. This is an old thread but I am going to post my experience: I have an oil furnace, at some point someone (a furnace tech) adjusted the blower to run slower thinking it would provide more hot air by slowing the air to heat up more before supplying the house. Connect with our Customer Care team about your products, warranties, and dealer concerns. The air handler houses the fan and fan motor and is usually located in the basement or attic. The remaining colored wires are the speed selectors for this blower motor.). But, in looking up the manual for this furnace (TUD1B100A9361), it looks like there are 4 blower speeds. So the blower motor is dead. Your OP was a noise complaint. You may freely link I understand that the higher speed is probably for cooling (for which we have a separate duct system and handler), but is it the case that the speed can be switched to a higher fan speed? The ignitor glows. Are there downsides to this. In humid climates, 350 CFM per ton can be selected in order to remove more moisture from the air. Browse other questions tagged, Start here for a quick overview of the site, Detailed answers to any questions you might have, Discuss the workings and policies of this site. The gas is shut off and the induction motor stops running while the blower . If you remove the common and place it on another terminal, it can burn out your motor not how you want the new furnace season to begin. 01 - Trane Furnace Control Board. Here are some of them: Better circulation of heated and cooled air. Tools that we use: www.amazon.com/shop/acservicetech. If the instructions are not with the furnace, you can look up the model number of the unit and search for the installation manual via a google search. Craig creates educational HVACR articles and videos which are posted at https://www.acservicetech.com & https://www.youtube.com/acservicetechchannel & https://www.facebook.com/acservicetech/. This video is to show how you can figure out the blower speed setup in your HVAC system, and what you can do do adjust said speeds. How to use Slater Type Orbitals as a basis functions in matrix method correctly? Air Filters remove dust, lint, pet dander, and other pollutants so you can breathe easier knowing your indoor air quality is better with Trane. There are also red and brown furnace speed wires. CFM stands for "cubic feet per minute." Switch the Jumper On most control boards there will be a jumper that is marked to show that it controls the speed. Each is associated with a different blower speed. Other than removing the module and seeing burnt components it must be diagnosed by a professional with a techmate tool ( allows you to test the motor and module and determine cause of error). (Heat transfer wasn't one of my favorite classes in college - I focused more on dynamic systems, sorry.). The factory may only set two or three of these colors as actual speeds. He has been DIY since childhood and is now a septuagenarian. Remember that a heat pump in heating mode will need to run with roughly the same airflow speed as during AC mode even though it may not be comfortable for the building occupant. The furnace operates for two minutes or so before it shuts down. No: you will not save on gas/oil costs by running your blower on low. It had been set on the higher speed, but that was too harsh, so I lowered it to the slower speed. Can I retrofit a 2-speed or variable speed blower on a Payne PG8UAA forced air furnace? Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers. I'll just run the heat pump through the leaky ductwork and heat the crawl space. Heres What It Means, Why You Should Monitor the Humidity Levels In Your Home. I'd go with logging temperature differential (inside temp - outside temp) vs. energy consumption every day for a month with the blower on high and then for a month with the blower on low. Soak the filter in warm water in a bathtub or sink. For 240v units, both the L and N are hots. Air Conditioner + Furnace Matched Systems, Air Conditioner + Air Handler Matched Systems, Does Your Air Conditioner Smell? I installed a Thermo Control 2000 boiler and first fired it up this Friday. The noise is there in heat or AC. I hope this helps you understand how to adjust the airflow speed on ECM Blower Motors! Example: Rated Btu Input = 60,000 / 10,000 = 6 x 150 = 900 cfm of required furnace airflow. If the relay that controls the blower motor fails while it is closed, it will send continuous voltage to the blower motor, causing the motor to run continuously. The system might not work properly. So How Do We Adjust Fan Speed? If the blower motor is burned out, replace it. The wires that are used will determine the speed settings that the motor will run at. We have been heating the crawl space in our house for several winters because the ductwork was all torn up from rats. Compatible with Trane systems or any standard HVAC system. I.e., maybe more heat is now escaping through the exhaust. They do this by coupling a sophisticated, programmable thermostat to a variable-speed motor. That said the contractor has no real incentive to get it right. He maintains fruit and nut trees along with helping his wife with a vegetable garden. I got the sv96 100k btu 2stage furnace with variable fan and the xl18 4ton ac unit. It is important to know that you cant go by a normal color code to determine the speeds. problems contact webmaster@doityourself.com. If the terminals are present at the motor module (ECM X-13) you can switch speeds at the blower motor location. The blower/fan seems to be running way to fast. By clicking '. Based on some randomly googled comments here: http://www.inspectorsjournal.com/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8998& seems to agree it decreases efficiency but may increase comfort [ex: cold spots or noise level] :). He is experienced in wood and metal construction, having designed and built several houses and metal buildings. The blower energy draw at a lower speed will be offset by the loss in fan wheel inertia. Craig is a licensed Teacher of HVACR, Sheet Metal, and Building Maintenance in the State of New Jersey of the USA. Narrowing that hysteresis loop will: Leading to a smaller Hysteresis loop, increasing motor efficiency by reducing iron eddy current losses. Running your furnace fan all the time isn't exactly a bad thing. Click On under Emergency Heat. Pollen, dust, clothing and carpet fibers, hair spray, mold spores, Pollen, dust, clothing and carpet fibers, hair, mold spores, legionella, pet dander, Pollen, dust, clothing and carpet fibers, hair spray, mold spores, bacteria, pet dander, cooking oil, most tobacco smoke, smog, Air filters are the first defense against the pollutants in your air, but building a complete air filtration system can help support an even higher quality of indoor air.

Bahama Bucks Syrup Supplier, Mobile Homes For Rent In Luzerne County, Pa, Articles H

how to change fan speed on a trane furnace

We're Hiring!
error: