gm cylinder deactivation problems

If i am successful locating a non-dod vin would i just need to have the ecm reprogrammed? Why would GM ever produce such problems with such little to gain. I will be installing the AFM deactivator tonight when I get hoe. Im looking at the Range Disabler but want to make sure it is required/suggested/recommended/safe? I contacted service manager in Gastonia, NC and he was kind enough to tell me the whole history of the problem.. EPA required better fuel mileage and less emissions and GM, Ford and Honda(V-6) came up with this failed AFM system. [], [] as the LS engine familys hybrid engine in trucks and SUVs. Yes, always change all the lifters at once. The main misconception is that shutting down half the engine's cylinders reduces fuel consumption because the . I have 1999 Silverado with out AFM that gets 21 mpg and a 2008 with it that gets 14.6. The 2016+ Tacomas are junk. NOTE: You can find engine specs and detailed engine upgrade advice for every LS and LS-based Vortec truck engine in one place: The Definitive Guide to LS Engine Specs and LS Engine Upgrades. Does the Pressure relief vavle ever go bad?? It is replaceable.. just remove oil pan and it will be on top at the filter. I have a 2014 Silverado with a 5-3. I have driven it now for 2 days without issue but I am having the AFM disabled/tuned out today. Thats a tough call, if the warranty will cover itId let it run out. Been driving with no issues but I did notice that the AFM disabler removed a P0449 code (Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Valve/Solenoid Circuit Malfunction) dont know if this is a coincidence or they are related??? Changing the sensor didnt help. How long did it take? Once the lifter has been damaged, the cam is probably also damaged. The Service Traction Control and Check Engine lights also came on again but went out after a few minutes. All I can say is they now try this again and they are still having trouble..when will they ever leave well enough alone. It had the AFM wiring & lifter cover installed with solenoid pack in the original engine, we even removed it to inspect. I asume low oil pressure cant make some of the DOD lifters to malfunction? Having a hard time finding one .. A problem with cylinder deactivation can be solved by tuning the intake and exhaust valves. Nine plaintiffs filed the General . I ran 0W-20 on more the 5000 miles between changes. Brian, we have a 2007 Yukon Denali in our shop with a 6.2L v-8 that has suffered a lifter failure with camshaft damage. Would really appreciate your comments on this point as really interested in an 07/08 escalade without or an 09 hybrid with dod. [] For more on that, read: How to Delete or Disable Active Fuel Management (AFM) on GM Engines. This valve is located on the oil pan rail and prevents excessive oil pressure from negatively impacting the AFM components. It uses a M14 x 1.5 thread plug like Dorman 65217. Interesting that gm still hasnt gotten the bugs out of their Volt and now their 2nd attempt. How stupid do you have to be to whine like a welfare check cashing idiot when there are literally 3 or 4 different ways to totally disable AFM. I cant stand seeing customers continuously going thousands of miles over on the oil and wonder why theres problems. Easier said than done. Im curious as to how much tran fluid you put in? what deleter (if thats a real word) have you heard good things about. Definitely dont want to do anything to fix one problem and create another. What if the pressure relief valve is stuck OPEN and the oil pressure never gets up to where it needs to be? Traded it with 180K miles and did not experience any problems. Just shut AFM off. Only thing I noticed with the oil consumption issue. Since the tranny oil worked, you should now change the oil, right? It will show up as a misfire code in a cylinders 1,4,6, or 7. I would appreciate any feedback. What the biggest reported problem with Chevy Silverados? If possible, will simply not using VVT provide a powerful,good running engine? There are two ways to disable or delete Active Fuel Management on your GM or Chevy Gen IV LS or LS-based Vortec engineone is to install an AFM Disabler, and the second is to install an AFM Delete Kit. The AFM activation and deactivation is controlled by the Valve Lifter Oil Manifold or VLOM. Thankfull for any ideeas! I have a 2011 Chevy Tahoe with the 5.3 Gen 4 LS (VIN Code 0) and I bought a CAM motion DOD/AFM delete kit, 3 bolt drop in CAM Motion stage 2 camshaft, VVT delete kit and finally a Diablo Predator 2 Premium for GM programmer. Did Obama make them do this? Should I buy a Diablo AFM disabler to prevent the new block from dropping to 4 cylinder? Covers me to 100K. Sylinder one lost compression on my 09 5,3. I had one fail and it chattered the cam to the point that I had to Install a new cam. Thats not all bad because it saves the cost of an AFM delete kit. If you already own this engine you will need to deactivate the AFM system or even better DO NOT buy any GM vehicle with this engine. You can reuse the original valley cover OR use a non-AFM valley cover, leave the harness connected, and tuck the solenoid pack away. 1. Thank you again for the response. If Problems regarding Chevy 5.3L engines, if the running compression of the misfiring cylinders stays below 25 PSI. Apparently all passkey III keys are not the same,, I bought one that said for 2006 impala assuming all pk3 would be the same, and I could not get it programmed in my saab 9-7,, so how Im waiting on ones that specially said for saab 9-7. hoping they will work. In 2015, I purchased a new Tahoe with the AFM and two weeks ago with 71K miles on it, the engine light came on. GM uses 3 different styles all are engine specific. Service manager said nothing else needs to be replaced because the engine has a Teflon coating. Correct me if Im wrong- If such an item was available couldnt you then just replace the lifters in the 4 AFM cylinders and then just run a disabler or have your ECM/PCM reprogrammed to have AFM disabled permanently. On the caddis it helped to relocate the computer inboard the passenger compartment to keep them cool helped . An AFM Disabler is an electronic device that plugs into the OBD-II port, under the dashboard. Glad I did. bought at Brian Tooley Racing ! I quites down to nothing after running for about a minute. I have a Yukon 116k it now needs its 3rd set of lifters and cam. Hi. Can they be faulty? I have seen more internal engine failures in the last 5 years or so than I have in the first 15 years in the business. The engine will operate on 8cylinders, or V8mode, during engine starting, engine idling, and medium to heavy throttle applications. I bought a 2010 GMC Sierra 5.3L Truck in 2013 with 24K miles. All New lifters were from AC delco. AFM - active fuel management strategy which deactivates the lifters on specific . Was thinking maybe I could trick the ruck into thinking the engine was not warmed up, however, this might cause some problems for other processes, such as mix ratio and timing. You were lucky that it worked. Learn how your comment data is processed. a little burning oil is a minor thing, my main concern is avoiding a multi-thousand dollar repair needed to the motor. What if I was able to trick the computer into thinking it is in 5th gear when it is actually in 6th? Any advice that you could offer would be great. Absolutely agree, but we all know GM cant afford to recall them all & definitely wont, gettin a Toyota, but first will go to GM dealer and ask to see a truck without AFM & when they say they dont have it Ill say See ya, I have an appointment with the Toyota dealer! Always had GMs never anything else till now. (Non-AFM engines have a smooth cover.). Pod. If you swapped in a LS9 cam, you will find it makes good power at the very top, but its actually down from 5,000 rpm and lower where the truck spends the majority of its time. I got the AMF disabler anyway and so far so good. My 5.3 is. I always have done my oil changes on time, not sure about the people who owned it before me though. Vortec 5300s featuring LH6 and LC9 engines are prone to failing spark plugs due to carbon build-up. You also need the disabler installed in your obd connector. . Clean oil is crucial. I recently bought a low mileage 2013 Silverado and the lifters collapsed. You can monitor the oil level on your dipstick for 3,000 miles to determine if the deflector or plug would be needed, but chances are you wont based on the TSB. You are correct. Next day I drove my car to work and was fine but when I left work all lights came back on and terrible noise in the hood. I saw two Summit Racing kits, with different valley coverswhich one do I need for my Yukon? I have a shop 39 yrs . thank You so much! Diablo says yes but they do not provide tunes. After reading these forums Im a little concerned about my decision to stay with GM. Batten, followed by several years developing performance pistons at Wiseco Piston Co. Today, Brian develops performance parts for Summit Racing Equipment and is a regular OnAllCylinders contributor. These trucks cost too much to have a terrible product. It has plenty of oil pressure and I put all new lifters in it. Still have no power. I had privilege to work on some of that garbage they never did work . It could be the filter screen under the oil sending unit. changed oil , its all working now, but want to disable this sorry system. With 44, its a enormous Jon to remove the oil pan. I am trying to prevent same issue. As it turned out one of the cam bearings was failing and causing the cam to wobble (my guess) which messed up the AFM and probably some other stuff too. A lot more info with the ongoing GM 5.3l AFM engine issues on Cargurus. yep, you are 100% Right, I called a local saab shop and they filled me in, in 2005 the trailblazer and clones have DOD (displacement on demand), My next issue is getting extra ignition keys on the cheap. Thanks. I ran 0W-20 no more the 5000 miles between changes. Cost about $250, but it is not fool proof. A bad lifter can be a minor repair if you get it fixed immediately after you hear an issue. I have an 07 Silverado 1500 ltz. Very expensive repair too! My 2012 Silverado 5.3L just did the same thing as your Tahoe Brian. We were getting a code that the cam position sensor was not functioning properly. A 14 gmc 5.3 Sierra 85000 miles What makes you think it was a design flaw ? I would appreciate it if you let me know how you make out. Took it to a shop and they advised that it could be due to the AFM system not functioning properly. As a side note, the early ones had a 24x reluctor and plastic chain guide (good) vs. the later ones with 58x and the spring loaded tensioner (not so good). Brian, I have been reading your article about the AFM. The LZ1 was upgraded with AFM and []. Installed them again, all facing upwards, will know tomorrow if that was the solution.If this is the cause i cant beleve why they arnt build so that it is impossible to install them the wrong way in the plastic holder.And altso that there was no warning or installation advice With the New lifters.If these are the only lifters in the Whole world that must be in There are so many moving components in an engine these days as opposed to the past. Pulled the inntake and replaced valleypan With all the solenoids. Also I dont recommend doing this as you may be in violation of some emissions standard or manufacturers ethics code . I also have 08 Burb, but have different symptoms (high oil consumption, blue exhaust smoke at start, and now a really rough start after sitting overnight). Junk . I couldnt agree with you less, yet I respect your opinions. Im praying that my RangeTech buys me a few years. I only have ~ 5k miles on it, and it hasnt been driven hard, so Im assuming the lifters are fine. But then she passed away from cancer. 2 15 with 5.3 Sierras both with 100k and There has been a lifter noise since I bought the truck 1 year ago. How did your turn out? The engine will switch to operating on fewer cylinders when cruising at a constant speed. Perform a Cylinder Deactivation (Active Fuel Management) System Compression Test. September 2017, I got talked into trading for 2017 AFM this was a bad choice 5.3 engine. I bought a new 2017 Cadillac CTS back in January 3.6L V6 with 8-speed trans. There are a few potential causes for Chevy cylinder deactivation problems, including oil consumption problems, harmful to the environment, sludge issues, and lower cylinder temperatures. My daughters car had about 230,000 miles when she complained of the problem. This new lawsuit is essentially identical to the previous. You can unplug the sensor on the vacuum booster and it will fool the computer into thinking there is a high demand on the engine and shut down the AFM system but you will have a Check engine light in your face for doing so . . I speak from some experience. Had similar problems under warranty, no telling what they rigged me up with at the dealer. Gary, [] 3 engines didnt have AFM (Active Fuel Management) or VVT (Variable Valve Timing), so you dont have the expense of an AFM or VVT delete []. They layed over night in engine oil before instalation. With the AFM tuned off, it shouldnt be trying to switch over to four cylinder mode. I only had 81k on the motor. Jasper makes aGM engine that deletes AFM & will warranty the engine to a 100,000 miles parts & labor . The LH6 in 2005-06 was a little different than the one used in 2007-09, but both had AFM. will feel like a jerk asking the clerk at lowes to cut them again. Per bulletin 10-06-01-0007b, 2007 L92 had first and 2nd design. Thanks for the advice Brian! Battery was unplugged for a week.. Took it in this morning and mechanic said cylinder 6 misfire, he said the lifter hasnt failed. Not sure which direction to go from here. When you eliminate the AFM system, the extra oil is no longer needed. I phoned the dealer and gave the VIN number, told it isnt equipped with AFM. If you ignore it and keep driving, odds are you will destroy the cam as well. Hello. I love the car so far. Id try the disabler and the screen cleaning first and do the AFM delete if that doesnt solve the problem. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BR1R8N8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A359W9MWR50ZG1&psc=1. [], I have a 2012 Silverado Z71 bought new. I have a 12 with 4.8 Silverado 75000 miles Ive heard the Brand name Range thrown around in other forums, This is how mine started outthen 6 months later on the highway the service stabilitrak light and flashing engine light came on. I read something the other day which I found to be funny. I have only put about 600 miles on it and noticed that the oil was a bit low and am hoping that it was that way when I picked it up. If you installed a performance cam intended for a car, it may be bleeding off some low end compression. This will spray oil on the bottom of the cylinder walls which can cause oil burning, especially in high-rpm engines. I have a noise in the engine but it seems to go away when revved up. The system uses solenoids to deliver oil pressure to control. If you just crack it without it starting it moves all the time . They are being forced by the feds to use stuff like AFM to meet the CAFE requirements. Now I know why there wa such a push to get older ,less efficient vehicles off the roads. This is what I keep telling people. I loved this rtuck until this happened!! Wow, thanks for the wisdom,, i checked my VIN Code (position #8, M=LH6) and my 2005 Saab 9-7x does have the LH6 motor with iron block, Are you sure its only 2007 & newer motors? Just pulled it down in the garage there was no other damage , luckily. My Wifes 17 Buick with afm was my attempt to get back to gm. I guess what Im really trying to ask is,, are there any cons/disadvantages to installing the AFM delete Electronic module? Any truth to that? Who knew? Regardless of the AFM solenoid being commanded on or off. As the problem gets worse, youll hear a lifter tick and eventually you may see clearance between the pushrod and the rocker which will quickly destroy the cam. Drives way better for my mostly paved road driving. Perhaps a flaw by design would be a more appropriate description . General motors sent out a service bulletins to their dealers however, all dealers will not tell you about the bulletin. I asked my local Chevy dealer, from whom I purchased the engine, to find out why the oil pan lacked the fitting. Are there errors or something only the dealer can clear? Replaced all lifters. Then it takes out the lifter again and again until you bite the bullet and replace the cam. Dod is the biggest failure sence the 8-6-4 caddie in 1981. Will the plug in deactivater fix the oil consumption or will it cause more consumption? put tran fluid in oil for a day till lifter became active, had to change the fouled plug. Lost number four Now im thinking of buying a disabler asap, am i in the clear to do so without the oil splashing problem? GM get a clue! I was getting ~ 30 mpg, so I love that. Cant believe they havent fixed this in a decade. Or not because it is the cast iron block and not he aluminum block? If the lifter actually fails so that the mechanism wont release, it wont work. Have a lifter problem on my 2010 5.3 Silverado. Call chevy.They should being paying most of that. [] they have a downside? This update also saw the usage of cylinder deactivation technology or Active Fuel Management. Can you tell me what needs to be done with the VVT? It was the first Gen. IV LS truck engine and offered Active Fuel Management (AFM). Looking to tear down myself. i have a 2007 suburban 6.0 and the number 4 intake lifter took a dive.i have already started to disassemble the engine as i plan on replacing all the lifters and reassemble the engine as i never had any other problems with it.

Cheap Fishing Cozumel, How To Turn On Backlit Keyboard On Chromebook, Articles G

gm cylinder deactivation problems

We're Hiring!
error: